Saturday, May 25, 2013

Convention time!

I love conventions, even though they have a tendency to burn me out. This time I'm actually taking breaks, and I've told myself that I don't have to attend everything that sounds vaguely interesting, and we actually have tickets for breakfast in the mornings instead of just scrounging for food in the Consuite all day in lieu of actual meals. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to avoid total con crash on Monday.

I've been out-of-sorts all week, culminating in an esophagogastroduodenoscopy on Thursday which I was sedated for. It was at 7:45 in the morning, so I had to stay up late for the previous two days to actually be awake then; I took a nap that afternoon, which really shows how tired I was, and then spent the rest of the day in a state of extreme dizziness from the sedation. I still went to help set up the art show that night, though I spent most of the time crawling around putting together boards to put the art on. I felt better the next day after sleep and something that resembled food, although I still didn't really manage a meal either of those days, and I've been sleeping about 5-6 hours a day.

On top of that, I've been wearing a fairly extensive cosplay, which means itchy wig, and heavy coat, and gloves, and I can't touch half of my face or I risk rubbing off the makeup, and I have to bind, and the only thing I'm doing to prevent overload is escaping to my room when I need to; it's worked so far, and I'm hoping I'll make it through without a problem, but it's probably still going to take a while before I'm ready to leave the house again after the con is over. Here's hoping I'm okay by next Friday, because I have University orientation then.

The worst thing so far: we're in a room on the 4th floor, right above some kind of turbines. I'm extremely sensitive to vibration, which means that when I was trying to sleep, all I could hear--even wearing earplugs and with a pillow over my head--was this bone-deep thrumming, and the white noise provided by the air conditioner came with its own weird thrumming noise, so falling asleep was ... interesting, to say the least.

The best thing so far (which kind of makes up for almost all of the icky stuff): I spent more than an hour today in the media room, watching the Stargate episode "Pretense" with live commentary from Alexis Cruz, who is adorable and hilarious and not even remotely stuck-up. It was a blast. We spent another while chatting with him in the art room and bought his graphic novel; he's currently working on a Stargate graphic novel, which promises to be completely awesome.

Things like this are the reason I love cons. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment