Saturday, May 11, 2013

This could be a problem...

So I've been accepted to the University of Utah for my Bachelor's Degrees now that I'm about to get my Associate Degree (from Salt Lake Community College, because it has quality teachers at about one-tenth the price of a 4-year university), and I've been doing a lot of research. Finding out which teachers in my programs are the most likely to be accommodating, talking to Disability Services, finding handicap-accessible routes between buildings, comparing bus and TRAX schedules, and so on. And on a whim, I decided to look up student clubs, because what better way to make friends than to join groups I might be interested in, right?

There's a Japanese club that looks pretty good, and an Aikido one I might consider, and then it occurred to me to look for disability-based clubs, because Autism is kind of one of my special interests.

What did I find?

"The purpose of Autism Speaks U of U is to further the mission of Autism Speaks by engaging the campus community and the local community through awareness, education, and fundraising and in doing so, positively affect the lives of those struggling with autism spectrum disorders and their families."

The best part? Disability Services directed me toward an Asperger's/Autism Support Group that meets on campus. It's run by the same woman who runs the Autism Speaks club. Who also appears to run the autism-centric parts of the Disability Center. (Although fortunately not the accommodations; the guy in charge of those was amazing to talk to, and suggested things I hadn't even thought of.)

I'm considering going to at least one of their meetings, just to see how bad things are. Possibly with a bunch of ASAN flyers in my walker. While wearing my Neurodiversity tee.

It's shaping up to be an interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment