Sunday, May 12, 2013

Random X-men geekery & rant

So I just freaking realized one of the reasons I love Rogue so much (besides the simple fact that she's just awesome) and have resonated with her since the very first time I saw her in an episode of X-Men: Evolution.

She's known since she was a teenager that she was different from most people, and that most people will fear her, hate her, and advocate for her destruction based on something genetic beyond her control. And yet she rebels against them and embraces her differences, and has repeatedly (including in the 90's animated series and the book 'Smoke and Mirrors') refused a 'cure', safe in the knowledge that being a mutant has given her a purpose, a community, and the chance at love that she thought she would never be capable of. Even though her mutation makes physical intimacy a near-impossibility, she can still love and be loved in return, and she knows that changing herself won't make her happier.

Sound familiar at all?

(And this was why Last Stand pissed me off SO MUCH--because it took this amazing strong character who I've loved for years and made her take the cure... so she could touch her BOYFRIEND. And even worse? I've read the novelization, which was written from the original script. She goes to the clinic. She signs up. And then she realizes what she'd be giving up, what she'd be losing, and LEAVES. WITHOUT taking the cure.

And they CHANGED that in the final script.

Drat, now I feel like I need to punch something.)

No comments:

Post a Comment